This foundation course will provide you with the knowledge and understanding necessary to make astute and efficient waste-related decisions, whilst increasing sustainability and improving performance.
Who is this course for?
Anyone who generates, handles or manages waste within your organisation. It is also suitable for students who wish to compliment academic learning with a professional certificate.
What you will learn
The course will provide you with the knowledge and understanding to:
- Prevent wastes arising from workplace activities
- Contribute to improving the management of wastes that are unavoidable
- Gain confidence in dealing with waste correctly
- Receive recognition for dealing with waste sustainably
- Reduce your waste costs
- Demonstrate your commitment to legal compliance and to operating sustainably
The content is covered over 5 modules:
Module 1 – Waste as a Resource
- Explain the different types of resources used by organisations when producing goods or providing a service
- Understand that any materials that are discarded are classified as waste, that there are different ways of describing wastes and that waste has a legal definition
- Understand the importance of complying with relevant legislation.
- Understand that it is the producer who defines whether a residue or output is a waste and that it remains waste until it has been fully recovered
Module 2 – The environmental impact of waste
- Explain how the extraction of virgin materials impacts on the environment and why our reliance on virgin materials is not sustainable
- Understand that it is not environmentally sustainable to continue to discard materials that could replace virgin materials
Module 3 – The costs of managing waste
- Understand that there are hidden costs to managing wastes
- Explain the real costs of waste disposal, where those costs arise and the impact on businesses
Module 4 – Understanding and applying the waste hierarchy
- Describe the Waste Hierarchy and understand different treatment option in relation to the Waste Hierarchy
- Use the Waste Hierarchy to identify different options for the management of resources and wastes in your own organisations.
Module 5 – Legislation and ensuring compliance
- Understand that waste legislation aims to ensure that waste is recovered or disposed of without endangering human health and minimising potential harm to the environment.
- Understand that:
- UK waste legislation mainly derives from EU Directives & Regulations.
- EU legislation is implemented in the UK through either primary or secondary legislation.
- Understand the role of guidance in relation to primary and secondary legislation.
There is a short multi-choice test at the end of the course with a pass mark of 77%. Delegates who successfully pass the assessment can download a certificate supported by the Environment Agency, Environmental Services Association, Defra and WRAP.
What do past learners say about this course?
"WasteSmart is not just a simple waste management course concentrating on waste when it is produced, it covers environmental impacts and the whole life cycle which will surely open your minds to waste as a resource.” Waste Development Manager, Sodexo
If you’re ready to buy, add this course to your basket using the button above or if you have any queries about this course, or would like to discuss bulk purchases, please call 01604 823341 or email email@example.com.